In order to achieve an optimal sound experience in your room, we have compiled some useful tips below for setting up and calibrating your Teufel home theatre on the Marantz NR1711.
First steps: Connect the AV receiver to the mains and your TV. For more information, see the Quick Start Guide included with the AVR. In the menu, first, select the language you want. Now please follow the instructions of the Initial Setup Wizard in the AVR. The AV receiver will guide you step by step through the connection and setup process here.
- We recommend that you set the Teufel subwoofer level to 75% and set the crossover frequency on the subwoofer to the maximum.
- Use the automatic calibration of the receiver. This calibration can then be used as the basis for your personal setup.
- Depending on the room acoustics, it may be necessary to adjust the crossover frequencies individually after the measurement - to be found in the receiver menu under Loudspeaker > Manual Configuration > Level > Test Tone.
- If after the automatic calibration process a frequency drop in the bass and low-frequency range becomes noticeable, it is recommended to increase the subwoofer crossover frequency.
- For front speakers, the crossover frequency can be adjusted according to the frequency response of the speaker (see technical data). Speakers that output frequencies below 48 Hz can also be operated without crossover frequency.
- For the rear speakers (surround), a crossover frequency between 60 and 110 Hz is recommended.
- If the sound image sounds washed out and undefined in the bass range after the calibration, a lowering of the subwoofer crossover frequency is recommended; the optimum value here is between 80 and 120 Hz.
Note: Please note that after the first measurement at your main listening position, the receiver may give an error message regarding the polarity of the speakers. In this case, please check the connection of the speaker cables at the receiver and at the speaker in question (+, -) and perform the measurement again. If the error message still occurs, ignore this message and continue with the calibration. Especially in the case of dipole speakers, the calibration system cannot detect the phase correctly and the above-mentioned error message occurs.
Tip: After calibration, check the set levels by pressing the SETUP button on the remote control of the AV receiver and then selecting the item Loudspeaker > Manual config. > Level > Start test tone. Please select a low overall volume level beforehand. You can now adjust the level with the arrow keys right / left. Use the arrow keys up / down to select the speaker to be adjusted. Check if you have one of the following cases and then change the level according to the recommendation:
|The speaker levels are adjusted and no level is at 0.
|Set the speaker with the highest level (e.g. FL is at -1 dB and all other levels show lower values) to 0 dB and change the levels of all other speakers according to the difference (all other levels would have to be raised by 1dB in this example).
|A level in the list is less than -10dB or more than +10dB after correction.
|We recommend that you perform the calibration again. If it is the subwoofer, you can set the level on the subwoofer to the center position before performing the Audyssey calibration again. Then plug the microphone back into the front of the AVR and perform the calibration again. Make sure that the room is quiet during the calibration.
Also check the following settings and correct the values there if necessary:
|Proceed as follows
|Manual correction of the speaker size and crossover frequencies
|Go to the menu Loudspeaker > Manual config. > Loudspeaker config. and check if all loudspeakers are set to "Small". If not, please correct this.
Now select in the menu Loudspeaker > Manual Config. > Transfer Freq. the following values: Front - 150 Hz, Center - 150 Hz, Surround - 150Hz.
Go to the menu Loudspeaker > Manual Config. > Bass and enter for the Subwoofer mode: LFE+Main as well as for the LFE low pass filter - 120 Hz.
Too much bass or too much surround effect?
Ifthe bass and treble reproduction or the surround speakers seem too dominant at lower volumes, please switch it off in the menu under Audio > Audyssey > Dynamic EQ.
More questions about calibration or the AVR?
Please have alookat our FAQs or contact us.
You are also welcome to contact Marantz directly with any questions you may have.